What Works

So, as I said in my last post, no one likes the in-your-face guerilla marketing.  I also mentioned that even though I consider myself to be a philanthropist, I still rarely make a donation to someone representing an organization out on the street.  Of course it makes sense for non-profits to seek support on college campuses, especially in the Boston area with so many college students, but the correct tactics must be used.  I, for one, as a broke college student, prefer to give my time rather than money to help out a local non-profit.

I recommend that organizations spend less time begging out on the streets and more time working to form relationships with colleges and their community service centers, greek systems, and other student-run clubs in order to generate the support desired.  I suggest creating a presence on the college campus you're trying to connect with.  Take the time to show that your organization cares about making a long-lasting relationship with the school instead of just a single donation and the students will actually WANT to help out.  Students are always looking for volunteer opportunities.  Make sure it's easy for them to get involved, and do this without shoving pamphlets and other garbage down their throats.  If you don't annoy them, they won't ignore you. 

It's a matter of knowing your audience and what appeals to them. It doesn't matter how noble your cause is — if you go about things the wrong way, your efforts are essentially worthless. Now, here's a video on that very subject from a great organization committed to spreading outstanding ideas called Technology Entertainment and Design, otherwise known as TED.  TED has many inspirational talks, and I think this one illustrates the importance of knowing your audience in a simple, yet brilliant way. Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment